We are pleased to inform you that Margherita SACCONE, Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale”, director of studies invited by Vincent ELTSCHINGER, will speak on Monday 8, 15 and 22/11 on the following topic: “Śubhagupta on Reality,Cognition and language”.
After a presentation of the general contours and the heritage of the doctrine of the Buddhist philosopher Śubhagupta (8th century) [1st lecture]; Margherita SACCONE, invited director of studies at the initiative of Vincent ELTSCHINGER, proposes to discuss the main theses of the magnum opus of this author, the Demonstration (of the existence) of extra-mental objects, preserved in Tibetan [2nd lecture].
The 3rd lecture will focus on another of Śubhagupta’s works, The Examination (of the Doctrine) of Exclusion, which deals with facts of semantics and noetics. The IED and the inviting ED are in fact working on an English translation of this latter treatise, from the Tibetan and the four short preserved Sanskrit fragments.
- On Monday 8 November, 2-4pm, online: Śubhagupta and the Dharmakīrtian Tradition: A Philosopher Inside (and) Out.
- On Monday, November 15, 1-4pm, at the Sorbonne: Buddhist Debates on Cognitions and their Object: The Externalist’s Answer.
- On Monday, November 22, 1-4pm, at the Sorbonne: The Self and the Path: Kamalaśīla’s refutation of the ātman.
Practical information :
– By videoconference (1st lecture) or 17 rue de la Sorbonne, 75005 Paris (2nd and 3rd lecture).
– Registration required, capacity limited to 40 people (2nd and 3rd conference).