Description du poste
The Department of Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies (MESAAS) at Columbia University seeks to hire an Assistant or Associate Professor in Sanskrit and Premodern South Asian studies. We will consider applications from new PhDs to recently tenured Associate Professors, whose humanistic work focuses on or connects with the late first millennium to the early modern periods. Applications from scholars working in a second South Asian language (expansively understood) are especially welcome. As a transregional and interdisciplinary department, MESAAS seeks applicants capable of bringing their work and interests into conversation with non-specialists both within the department and across the university. The successful candidate will be expected to sustain an active program of research, publication, undergraduate and graduate teaching and supervision, and service. MESAAS encourages applications from candidates whose research, teaching, and service to the field will contribute to the diversity of the department and the university.
The review of applications will begin November 1, 2022; the position will remain open until filled. On-campus interviews will take place early in the spring semester. The appointment will begin on July 1, 2023. The Ph.D. must be in hand by the appointment start date.
PhD in relevant fields.
All applications must be made through Columbia University’s Academic Search and Recruiting (ASR) system. Please upload the following required materials:
• Cover letter explaining research and teaching interests
• Curriculum vitae
• One writing sample (of no more than 30 pages)
• Contact information for referees (who may be asked to upload letters to the ASR/Interfolio system at a later stage in the search process)
• List of courses taught or being developed, along with one sample syllabus
• Diversity statement (addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion through research, teaching, professional activity, and/or service)