EFEO Field Scholarships
The École française d’Extrême-Orient (EFEO) awards scholarships to research students tenable for periods of research in an EFEO Centre in Asia.
- Funding type: forfeit allowance.
- Amount: a monthly stipend varying between 700 and 1 360 € according to the academic level of the applicant (MA or PhD student) and the country of field research in Asia.
- Duration: 1 to 6 months.
NB MA students are eligible for field research scholarships not exceeding two months
- Discipline: research in humanities or social sciences applied to the history and civilizations of sinized or indianized Asia.
- Qualifications: applicants must hold a BA, MA degree or a recognized equivalent qualification.
- Languages: good command of the language(s) required to successfully complete the field research project, as well as a working knowledge of French.
- Area: scholarships are tenable in EFEO Centres in Asia.
Application documents comprise:
- a cover letter addressed to the Director of the EFEO stating the objectives of the requested field study, specifying the dates of the projected period of research, the EFEO Centre concerned, as well as any ongoing funding and parallel scholarship application,
- a detailed description of the research project (1-5 pages) including a work schedule and a budget,
- a curriculum vitae with copies of degrees and certificates,
- a letter of recommendation by the applicant’s thesis director or research supervisor,
- a photocopy of a valid ID and a a photocopy of the student card (to be sent by email or mail to the EFEO, 22 avenue du Président Wilson, 75116 Paris, France)
To submit an application
- Online application: by creating an account and filling-in the online application form.
Once registered you can log in and out at any time to complete your application until you click “Submit your application”. No application can be received after the application deadline.
You will be asked to upload the supporting documents in PDF format.
Questions or problems regarding the application materials or procedures should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (0033) 1 53 70 18 60.
Deadlines for applications
- 15 March 2023 6pm (Paris Time), for scholarships tenable between 1 June and 31 December 2023
NB Candidates may be awarded up to two scholarships for a total duration not exceeding 9 months
TO BE NOTICED
In the current health context, EFEO complies with the recommendations issued by the French Ministry of Higher Education, Research, and Innovation, and those of the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs. Thus, student projects will only obtain effective funding from the school when the conditions for their implementation will satisfy the instructions and recommendations in force.
Successful candidates must
- Bear the cost of local accommodation while working in EFEO Centres.
- Being able to provide a proof of adequate health insurance coverage.
- Cover their travel costs.
- Submit a report of 10-15 pages with an abstract not exceeding 150 words on the results of their field research. The report must be submitted in electronic format within one month after completion of the scholarship. It should be addressed to the Director of the EFEO at email@example.com and to the head of the host Centre in Asia. The abstracts are published in the annual report of the EFEO.
Link to the online call for applications:https://www.efeo.fr/base.php?code=250